Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bowling Ball Bags in the Wall Street Journal

Yesterday in my inbox arrived the Emmaline Bags email newsletter. Apparently, where Emmaline Bags is located in Canada it has been snowing! But, that is not the news. The news is Janelle's (the owner of Emmaline Bags) snow sale to commemorate the first snowfall of the season. 15% off any two items purchased. I have been aware of Emmaline Bags and eyeing a couple of her bag patterns for quite some time and used the snow sale discount to purchase those patterns. The patterns come in a pdf format; translate that to mean, immediately. She also sells all the bag pattern hardware as kits which is nice as one might not have purse buckles, grommets, etc...just laying around ready to use. I thought her prices pretty reasonable and should have my kit in a few days.

But all of this bag pattern talk and her sale brings me to the purpose of this post; bowling ball bags and the Wall Street Journal.

Way back in February when we subscribed to the Wall Street Journal they ran a story on Prada bags. The WSJ features much news and articles about fashion (it's true) and also publishes a glossy fashion magazine insert every so often. The mag is edgy; the adverts are edgy; the fashions are edgy; the photography amazing!

                    

While I wouldn't show most of the magazine to my teenage son and there is no way my middle age body would look good in the fashions featured, I kept all the magazines anyway and actually miss not receiving the recent issues. They gave me marvelous ideas especially in regards to treads, basic shapes, seasonal colors and patterns. If you ever come across one, it is worth picking up.

But, where was I? Oh yeah, Prada.

As you all know it can be desirable to own a Prada bag. In fact, entire industries are dedicated to duplicating Prada (and other designer) bags and sold, for a fraction of what a REAL Prada would go for, on street corners and in the case of my town, the local Antique Mall. So when I saw this feature, I started thinking about how it probably would not be too difficult to make a similar bag. In fact, I was pretty sure I would be able to find numerous pattern copies of the bag. The reason, well....it looks remarkably similar to a bowling ball bag. On second thought, it really is a bowling ball bag complete with designer details, made from high dollar fabrics and with the Prada logo. Okay, okay...so all that IS a big deal.

[SB10001424127887324048904578318491272077994]
Gorgeous Contrast.
[image][image]
Tried to find a fabric like the bag of the left. Never found one I loved.

            
So on the quest I went, looking for a pattern, thinking about if it were possible to create one, contacting my friend Susan, an accomplished seamstress, with my idea. "Why don't we just buy a bowling bag and cover it?" She ask. "Wouldn't that be cheating?" was my response. "Well, it would certainly be easier!"  Susan was obviously not in the same mindset.

It did not take me long to discover there weren't many bowling ball bag patterns out there. In fact, there weren't any! I did find a cute design in one of the One Yard Wonders Books' (can't remember which one) and on a blog somewhere, someone had created a pattern and made it up for a bag swap. Then some weeks later, lo and behold, there was a pattern at Emmaline!

                                                        

So there the link to the pattern sat for all the summer months on my desktop. Frequently, I would visit the page just to look at the pattern and think about Prada. But, it wasn't until the GAM Challenge that I decided it was time. This is just the right bag for the Ottobre dress and for fall in the midwest. So yesterday I took advantage of the snow sale and ordered the bag pattern and kit. I haven't ever made a bag such as this so keep your fingers crossed.  I am hopeful the directions are clear with lots of pics. I'll let you know.



1 comment:

  1. This is a seriously more economical idea than buying an original Prada...

    ReplyDelete